Series No. 2

Tucker, William

Two cylindrical pieces, provide the viewer with a complicated pattern of angles and intersections. Born in Cairo to British parents who returned to England in 1937, William Tucker is a modernist sculptor and modern art scholar. He read Modern History at Oxford University, whilst also attending the Ruskin School of Drawing. He then studied sculpture at Saint Martin’s School of Art, London, where Anthony Caro was one of his teachers. From 1968-1970, Tucker was Gregory Fellow in Sculpture at the University of Leeds. Series No. 2 is one of a series of four variations on the theme of interlocking cylinders that he made in 1968. Series A No. 2 is composed of two H-shaped cylindrical pieces, one laid above the other and turned at an angle to it. The arrangement provides the viewer with a complicated pattern of angles and intersections, where the arms of the H-shapes are not parallel and are not of the same length. It was bought by the LACF in 1969. In 1972, Tucker was Britain’s representative at the Venice Biennale. He moved to New York in 1978 and became an American citizen in 1985. He has received a number of awards, winning the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition Sculpture Prize in 2009 and was a recipient of the International Sculpture Center’s Lifetime Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Award in 2010.

Sculpture; fibre glass

Tucker

Other pieces in our collection

Torso

Hart, Barry

Sculpture: Alabaster, 102 x 26 x17

Rugg, Matt

1962, Relief in wood

Become a Friend to Art in Leeds

Show your support for arts in Leeds, enjoy exclusive membership benefits and help to acquire great art for the city. Join for as little as £20 per year.